Monday night gave us the year’s best, most-anticipated and exclusive fashion event: the Met Gala.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute Benefit is an annual black-tie soiree held the first Monday of every May. While it does exist to raise money for the Costume Institute, the fashion world knows it more as the party of the year. The gala is ripe with A-List celebrities from the fashion, business, political and film worlds, dressed beyond the nines to the year’s theme.
This year, the theme was “Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology,” which many interpreted as an excuse for futuristic dress worthy of Star Trek. (Just look at Taylor Swift, this year’s co-host, who could have served as the night’s disco ball.)
We love far-out looks as much as the next fashionista, but we also love it when celebrities give us looks we can use every day. That’s why, out of the hundreds of Best-Dressed celebrities who attended, we want to emulate Kerry Washington. The star took the theme for a darker turn, but we’re loving every bit of it—from the arm sleeves to the vibrant maroon hues. She gave us all the #BeautyGoals we need today.
Love her look, too? Here’s how to get it:
- Start with a light layer of foundation. The focus is on your eyes, so you don’t want to detract from them with a heavy look. Try 3 or 4 layers of Silk to get the no makeup makeup look.
- Apply a light contour. Using 2 drops of the next darker shade from your everyday foundation, lightly outline your jaw (skipping the chin). Move up to the cheeks and spray the hollows in a downward motion from your temples to your lips. (If you have trouble finding the hollows, suck in your cheeks like you’re making a fishy face. The hollows are the bits that suck in.) Now, outline your forehead along the hairline from one eyebrow to the other.
- Just above the hollows, but not quite on the apples of your cheeks, lightly spray blush (1-2 drops) in a downward motion. Remember that our blush is highly pigmented, so it doesn’t take much to get the look you want.
- For your eyes, start with a base layer of our Smoke eye shadow (ES-20). With 2 drops in your stylus, spray a light layer over your eyelids (from the lash line to just above the crease). Alternate your eyes as you spray on the layers (spray a light layer on your right eyelid, spray a light layer on your left eyelid, repeat) so that each layer can dry between applications. Next, put 2 drops of Black (ES-03) in your stylus. Starting at the outer corner of your lid, spray about halfway along the lash line. Using the same movement along the crease, you’re going to create a “V,” blending it out on the rest of your lid.
- Grab your highlighter (2 drops), and spray right beneath and above your eyebrow, on the highest parts of your cheekbones (right under the eyes), and in a straight line from between your brows to your chin.
- Finish with a translucent setting powder, your favorite lipgloss and some optional glitter, and you’re ready for the Met!